Through the first media timeout of the second half: So much for Kansas getting right back in this thing. Baylor found an even different gear and shot out to a 13-point lead, 51-38 . It makes me feel good I trusted what I saw out of the Bears yesterday – that this team is zoned in…or awake finally, however you want to look at it.
- If the Jayhawks come back, it will be on a monster half from Taylor. Nobody else is in this game right now.
- The Sprint Center is alive…ALIVE… for the first time in a long while. KU fans will not let their team go away quietly.
- Timeout. 73-44 Baylor at 15:17 remaining.
Through the second media timeout: Thomas Robinson is a future pro. Perry Jones is a future pro. On this night, Jones is eating Robinson’s lunch, kissing his girl and stealing his car.
- Before you get mad at that line, Robinson had 2 fouls, 5 points and 1, ONE rebound in the first half; and looks just as out of sorts to start this half.
- Travis Releford gets a chippie. Crowd even louder. Drew calls timeout in attempt to stop KU’s momentum. Crowd singing time-honored “We’re not gonna take it.”
- How in the world did Pierre Jackson get called for a foul on Taylor at the bucket in transition…by the ref trailing at half court….with another player between him and the play. May have been a foul, who knows, but jeez….that’s why people question officials.
- Robinson off. rebound and put back. Then a Taylor banked in 3. Baylor reeling from the crowd and missed shots. Suddenly, it’s a one-point lead for Baylor. Seriously, Jimmy Johns freaky fast comeback.
Through the third media timeout: Media on press row now open season on Scott Drew as KU ties the game on Withey FT.
- Baylor shooters are t-i-g-h-t. Clutching shots, not following through. Then again, a tight sphincter will do that to ya.
- KU up 58-56 on a T-Rob layup. I said last night this team was ready for March because it refused to quit at any point. Ahem…
- Perry Jones just got the ball and bricked a turnaround fade-away. Realized it was the first time in forever since I remembered him having the ball. Needs to get back in this game.
- Heslip 3 after Jones miss puts Baylor back on top 59-58. Just under 9 minutes left.
- KU’s aggressiveness was used against it on Baylor fast break. Led to Jones highlight dunk. BU up 3 with the ball…..hmmmm…
Through the fourth media timeout: And Jones is back in this game after hitting the runner. Points come in bunches for the guy, from everywhere.
- Baylor took 35 seconds off the clock each of the past two possessions. Didn’t score either time, so we get to play the “stay aggressive or milk that clock?” game…. I prefer to stay with what got you your lead.
Through the final minutes: Who wants it?
- Jones takes Withey to the hole with a reverse spin and layup. Pushes Baylor lead to 5. Stupid good. Just. Stupid. Good.
- Last couple of minutes: Brady Heslip, hair and all. The last three he hit, he shot, couldn’t see over the taller defender and didn’t care. Put his hands down to his sides and ran back. He knew it was good as soon as he shot it.
- ….I’ll make your head hurt with this one…. Did Scott Drew out-coach Bill Self? (Thanks to Jeffrey Martin off Twitter for that one.)
- Missed FT for Baylor and Acy gets an offensive board plus a foul on T-Rob. Ouch, Kansas. Acy hits 2 FT and pushes Baylor lead to 7 with :55 left.
- Over. The KU/MU Round 3 dream is over. Baylor wins 81-72.